Attempted Murder Charges Can Change Your Life
In Virginia, attempted murder is a felony. These charges can result in severe penalties affecting not only the accused individual, but their loved ones as well.
Local law enforcement’s goal is to protect those in and around Richmond. Thus, they take instances of attempted murder seriously. Investigations will be immediate and aggressive; they will leave no stone unturned when it comes to uncovering evidence and proving their charges.
Protecting your rights, your future, and your family is your ultimate priority, something you cannot do on your own. You need the guidance of a professional who understands the law and has hands-on experience with cases like this to help you navigate the road ahead.
Cody Villalon appreciates all that you are facing. He founded his firm on the belief that everyone is entitled to a high quality and strong defense, and he is ready to put his skills and experience to work for you. He understands your rights under the law and is well aware of the options available in structuring your defense.
Reach out to him today at 804.316.0765 to schedule an immediate, free consultation during which you can learn exactly how he will advocate for you.
Why Choose Cody Villalon as Your Richmond Attempted Murder Lawyer
Hands-On Service, Knowledge, and Experience Make a Real Difference
Life is filled with challenges, but few as pressing as being charged with a crime like attempted murder. Doing the right thing, at the right time, is going to be critical in safeguarding yourself and your future.
Engaging a skilled criminal defense attorney is one of the things you can and should directly control. Working with a professional who has a reputation for providing the highest quality service and successful outcomes is crucial; your life depends on it.
Attempted murder cases are among the most challenging to defend. The legal process is complex and its outcome impactful. Cody Villalon knows this; he is well-positioned to bring value to your case and committed to helping to minimize any penalties. You will benefit from his . . .
- Extensive Criminal Defense Experience: For more than 10 years, Cody has provided legal defense services to those in and around Richmond who were accused of serious crimes. He is well-versed in the laws regarding attempted murder and knows how to build a case to defend against it.
- Knowledge of the Local Courts: As a result of his work, Cody has developed working relationships with all the players in the legal system: judges, prosecutors, and other local attorneys. He can use this to your benefit while negotiating.
- Personal Approach: When you engage Cody Villalon, he personally leads your defense, not a lesser experienced associate. His personal commitment to serving each client is unmatched, and he is always available to answer your questions and address your concerns. Cody works tirelessly for you.
Over the years, Cody Villalon earned an outstanding reputation for calmly undertaking the most serious of cases and providing his clients an aggressive defense. While he leverages the knowledge he has gained, he takes nothing for granted. Every case is unique and deserves a defense tailored to its specific details.
What We Will Do For You
Building a Quality Defense Is Comprised of Many Steps
Cody Villalon knows how to address attempted murder charges. The process is complex, detail oriented, and time consuming, clearly something you should not try to handle on your own. When you engage Cody Villalon and his team, you can rest assured that each step will be handled appropriately, with the attention it needs. Expect our team to . . .
- Thoroughly Investigate the Charges: Gathering and carefully reviewing evidence in attempted murder cases is an essential part of developing a defense. Our team will analyze everything available, starting with the arrest records to ensure your rights were upheld. Additionally, we will examine existing photos and videos and police reports. Finally, we will conduct our own witness interviews. Nothing will be ignored; we often find that the smallest details can have the biggest impact in serious cases like yours.
- Handle the Administrative Process: if there is one thing you can count on, it’s that attempted murder charges generate a great deal of correspondence and paperwork. As your Richmond attempted murder lawyer, we will assume responsibility for all communication and filings. Refer all contact regarding your case to us; do not comment on anything regarding your case. We know how to respond appropriately and will file all legal documents quickly and efficiently.
- Conduct All Negotiations: Settling your case out of court is something for which we strive. If we can make a deal with prosecutors that protects you from more serious punishment, we will. Cody is a skillful negotiator whose ultimate goal is always to safeguard his clients and their lives.
- Defend You at Trial: If your case cannot be settled through negotiation, we will vigorously defend you in court. Cody is comfortable with litigation and has a reputation for aggressively and successfully defending his clients. He will ensure you understand the trial process and, if he believes you will need to testify, he will thoroughly prepare you.
- Communicate with You: Criminal defense services provided by Cody are based on regular and clear communication. Behind every case is a person, a fact that lies at the heart of his service philosophy. While he handles everything, he never leaves you in the dark. Cody truly believes that knowledge is power and that keeping you in the loop at all times is both strategic and responsible. This is your life, and your thoughts, concerns and insight are always welcome and valuable. We will be in regular contact with you.
Serious legal charges and complicated proceedings require the guidance of an experienced and successful criminal defense attorney.
Cody Villalon has what it takes to successfully handle your case and help minimize the impact on your life.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding an Attempted Murder Case
Cody Villalon Responds to Your Most Common Concerns
Individuals facing charges of attempted murder naturally have a lot of questions regarding the legal process. The answers to many of these questions are determined by the specifics of each case; however, there are some issues that many seem to have in common. We have shared some of these, and Cody’s response, below.
What type of crime is attempted murder?
According to Virginia law, attempted capital murder is classified as a Class 2 felony, while attempted first or second degree murder is a Class 4 felony. These are serious charges that require the legal assistance of a reputable and seasoned criminal attorney who is experienced in handling attempted murder cases.
What penalties am I facing if I have been charged with attempted murder in Richmond?
Those found guilty of attempted capital murder may be sentenced to a fine of up to $100,000 and prison time of 20 years to life. Attempted first or second-degree murder may result in a similar fine and 2-10 years in prison. All attempted murder charges are serious and should be addressed by a criminal defense attorney.
I was charged with an attempted murder from years ago. What is the statute of limitations for this type of crime?
Because attempted murder is a felony, and a violent one, Virginia does not enforce a statute of limitations. Charges can be brought at any point in time. Your Richmond attempted murder attorney can determine the passage of time could possibly help in constructing your defense.
What are some common defenses that would apply to an attempted murder case?
The answer to this question is dependent upon the facts of each case. However, some strategies may focus on self-defense or lack of intent to kill. Your criminal defense attorney will review your case and determine the best tactics to take based on the evidence and your situation.
All of your concerns regarding your case are valid, and clearly it would be impossible to properly address every question here. Contact Cody Villalon at 804.316.0765 to schedule your free consultation. During this time, he can provide more tailored answers to your questions.
Cody Villalon, Attempted Murder Attorney Richmond, Shares the Facts
Understanding the Charges
In Virginia, attempted murder is among the most serious charges an individual can face. Recognizing what these charges mean is important; the outcome of your trial will have serious repercussions on you and your loved ones forever.
Because of the severity of the charges, the prosecution must prove two things beyond a reasonable doubt. First, that you (the individual charged) took a direct step in killing the intended victim and, second, you also had an intent to commit this crime.
The term “direct step” is integral in the definition of the charges. Planning to kill someone is different than acting on that plan. Taking action is the defining step that serves as the basis for this crime.
In attempted murder cases, prosecutors will take their time to illustrate that the evidence proves the direct step was taken. Your attempted murder attorney will work to build a case to bring reasonable doubt as to these issues.
Penalties for Conviction of Attempted Murder are Severe
If you are convicted of attempted murder, the punishment is harsh. Attempted murder charges will fall under one of two categories.
Attempted capital murder cases include those involving murder during rape, robbery or kidnapping or hiring someone to murder another on your behalf. This is the more serious of the two categories and those found guilty face prison sentences of 20 years to life in addition to significant fines (not to exceed $100,000).
Convictions regarding attempted first or second degree murder, while less serious, incur similar fines but a lesser jail term (two to 10 years).
Without a doubt, these penalties are noteworthy. Even the most minor sentence could impact you forever. Your Richmond attempted murder attorney will review the charges against you, explain the possible punishments you may face, and build a defense designed to protect your future.
The Right Attempted Murder Attorney Can Change the Course of Your Life
Cody Villalon Is Best Suited to Protect Your Rights and Preserve Your Future
Facing charges of attempted murder in Richmond can be overwhelming; in times like this your future seems less than bright. Engaging the right professional is perhaps the most important choice you have to make. Experienced and skillful representation can make all the difference in the world.
He doesn’t hesitate to accept the most challenging cases and gives all of his clients the high-quality, personal service they deserve. Cody’s goal is always to minimize the negative impact of the situation and to focus on protecting your rights.
Don’t Hesitate – Contact Us Today!
Have you, or someone you love, been charged with attempted murder in Richmond? If so, act now and contact Richmond attempted murder lawyer Cody Villalon. The sooner we can begin work on your case, the more time we will have to investigate, strategize, and build your defense.
We are ready to go to work for you today. Call us at 804.316.0765 to schedule a consultation. Let us help you prepare for all that is to come.