Richmond Fraud Attorney Protects Your Rights
A conviction for fraud charges in Richmond can result in decades in prison, a frightening reality. The good news is that you do not have to face this terrifying prospect alone. You should engage a compassionate and experienced Richmond fraud defense lawyer to protect your future.
As a defendant in a fraud case, you have rights, and the state must respect them. One of the most important is the right to be represented by a defense attorney. Your Richmond fraud lawyer will advocate for you throughout your case.
When facing serious charges you need the assistance of a professional who knows the law and is committed to protecting you.
Attorney Cody Villalon has been representing fraud defendants since 2010. He will help you understand your options and determine the most effective path to minimize or avoid jail time and other penalties.
Why Hire Cody Villalon?
When you are facing fraud charges in Virginia, it can feel like the entire world is against you. The state is backed by a seemingly endless supply of police officers, prosecutors, and investigators. It is easy to become overwhelmed by the power wielded by the government. Cody Villalon understands your fears and will help relieve your stress. Consider why he is well-suited to represent you. He has:
- Significant experience defending those accused of fraud.
- In-depth knowledge of the law and how the Richmond court system operates.
- A commitment to providing responsive, compassionate service.
- An approach to service that focuses on the details of each individual case.
- A reputation for success.
As a sole practitioner in Richmond, Cody personally represents each of his clients. You can be assured that your case will not be designated to a less experienced attorney. Contact us today at 804.316.0765 for a free consultation.
How Cody Villalon Can Help You
Leveraging our Experience and Knowledge
A wide range of actions are considered fraud, from writing a bad check to identity theft. Chapter 6 of the Code of Virginia shares the roughly 100 different crimes characterized as fraud. Just because you have been charged, this doesn’t mean you are guilty; but you need a qualified professional to defend you.
When you retain Cody Villalon, you can expect immediate action. He and his team will:
- Examine the facts of your case and develop a comprehensive defense plan.
- Identify any violations of your rights by police or prosecution and petition the court to take corrective action.
- Protect you from violations of your rights throughout the remainder of the case.
- Discover errors present in the evidence the prosecution is using against you.
- Explain the court process to you and prepare you for every step of your case.
- Keep you fully informed.
- File all motions and paperwork with the court on time.
- When appropriate, negotiate a plea deal that lessens the charges or punishment.
- Fight zealously for you if the case goes to trial.
Before he considers negotiating a plea agreement, Cody Villalon will determine whether the charges are legitimate and get your approval about how to approach the case. In some cases, a plea deal may get optimal results; at other times, clients will likely be better off going to trial.
Remember that you have the right to remain silent until your attorney is present.
Never answer any questions unless Cody Villalon is at your side. He will ensure that you don’t accidentally incriminate yourself or harm your case.
Understanding Virginia Fraud Charges
Explanation by Fraud Defense Lawyers
The Code of Virginia chapter on crimes involving fraud has 10 articles, each with multiple sections. Most instances of fraud are felonies, though a few are misdemeanors. If you’re facing a misdemeanor charge in Richmond, consulting a Richmond misdemeanor charge lawyer might be a wise decision.
- Article 1: Forgery
- Article 2: Impersonation
- Article 3: False Pretenses
- Article 4: Bad Check Law
- Article 5: False Representations to Obtain Property or Credit
- Article 5.1: Offense Involving Electronic Communication Devices
- Article 6: Offenses Relating to Credit Cards
- Article 7: Miscellaneous False and Fraudulent Acts
- Article 8: Misrepresentations and Other Offenses Connected With Sales
- Article 9: Virginia Comprehensive Money Laundering Act
- Article 10: Cigarette Delivery Sale Requirements.
It is important to recognize that even misdemeanor convictions can result in jail time and significant fines. If you are facing fraud charges in Virginia, Richmond fraud lawyer Cody Villalon can help you. Call (804) 316-0765 to schedule your free consultation.
How to Fight a Fraud Charge in Virginia
Defense Strategies Your Richmond Fraud Defense Attorney Might Use
Your Richmond fraud lawyer will consider multiple defense strategies, depending upon the circumstances surrounding your case. Some of the most common include:
- Fighting the case due to a lack of evidence or rights violation
- Negotiation for lesser charges
- Asking for consideration for lesser penalties
- Attempting to prove you acted in good faith or counter evidence that you did not.
As an experienced criminal fraud lawyer, Cody Villalon will evaluate your case and determine the most appropriate course of action.
Our Fraud Charges Lawyer Answers Your Questions
If you are facing criminal charges for the first time, you probably have lots of questions. Here are answers to the questions that Cody Villalon most commonly receives.
CAN I BE CHARGED WITH FRAUD FOR ACTIONS MY EMPLOYER TOLD ME TO DO?
Yes, but you can probably make a deal to have the charges dropped if you testify against your employer. Prosecutors usually want to punish the people in charge.
SHOULD I TAKE A PLEA DEAL?
This depends on the facts surrounding your case. Most criminal cases are resolved through a plea deal. However, you should only commit to a plea deal after your attorney has recommended that course of action.
WHEN SHOULD I CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY?
You should consult with a lawyer as soon as you are arrested. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for your attorney to help you.
If you have more questions, Cody Villalon will always take time out of his schedule to answer them.
Our Fraud Defense Law Firm is Ready to Help You
Contact Cody Villalon Today
Cody Villalon has made a commitment to providing each of his clients with his full attention. He carefully manages his case load to provide a skilled, strong case defense. If you have been accused of fraud, you need assistance from a reputable professional like Cody Villalon.
Don’t risk high fines or jail time. Contact our fraud defense law firm today at 804.316.0765. We are ready to go to work for you immediately.